Thursday, January 31, 2013

My brother's first review: FREAKS!

Freaks
By: Kieran Larwood
Reported by: Roarko
Source: ARC from publisher
Release date: March 1st, 2013, via Chicken House/Scholastic

Weirdest. Crime Fighters. Ever.

Sheba, the fur-faced Wolfgirl, can sniff out a threat from miles away. Monkeyboy clambers up buildings in the blink of an eye -- then drops deadly stink bombs of his own making (yes, THAT kind)! Sister Moon sees in the dark, and moves at the speed of light. Born with weird abnormalities that make them misfits, these FREAKS spend their nights on public display, trapped in a traveling Victorian sideshow. But during the day, they put their strange talents to use: They solve the most sinister crimes. And in a dank, desperate world of crooks and child-snatchers, they're determined to defend London's most innocent victims: the street urchins disappearing from the city's streets.


-Summary from Goodreads
Pre-order: Mrs. Nelson's || Barnes & Noble || Amazon || Book Depository

Juli: When I received Freaks, I knew that it would be the perfect read for my 10-year-old brother, Roarko (not his real name; hey, he's 10, I've gotta protect his identity, yeah?). Here is the first review by my brother, praising Freaks:

Freaks was a really good book, because one) there was a lot of action; two) there were a lot of fantastical elements that I never thought of; and three) there was a lot of excitement.



All the action showed a lot of explosives, which was interesting since it was something really appealing. I really liked Monkeyboy and Wolfgirl, the huge giants and people who have rats as their pets, the fat guy who makes the Freaks work for him, and many of the other characters. The book was really cool because it's very unique and had a lot of plot twists that I didn't expect.

My favorite character is Monkeyboy because he uses fart bombs, which is funny and makes an entertaining story. My favorite part of the book was the climax, when the characters faced the villain. There was a lot of action, like the majority of the book, which was cool, but the ending was even cooler. Endings should be satisfying and also unique, because most books follow the same premise and/or outcome, and the same thing gets boring after a while. Freaks had an ending that was very interesting and different than what I usually read.

Overall, Freaks was an exciting, funny, and strange book--and definitely in a good way.

Thank you, kiddo, for writing this review! Let us know what you think of Freaks in the comments below! And, of course, thank you so much, Scholastic, for sending us a review copy. This, of course, did not involve any sort of monetary exchange and the review is composed of my brother's own opinion. :) 

The Reviews News

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please do leave a response! I love hearing back from you all! :) I respond to comments here on the blog, so if you'd like me to reply to you via e-mail, just state so in your comment. Also, this is an award-free zone. I love and superbly appreciate all of your generous thoughts; I'm just terrible at returning your kind favor.

Thanks for stopping by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...