Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Top 10 Week #2: Best Book Covers of 2012

Top 10 of 2012 is one week of bookish goodness hosted by the fantastic peeps at Two Chicks on Books, Fiktshun, Confessions of a Bookaholic, and Magical Urban Fantasy Reads! Every day from December 24th to December 28th, I'll have a Top 10 list up regarding to the day's topic. Today's topic is:

Best Book Covers of 2012
As a designer and art geek, this topic is one of my favorite ones. Since book covers and their design are the focal points of this post, the covers will be in big images while I provide a short cover analysis (pun off of one of my internet BFF Monica's blog). The images themselves will link to the book's Goodreads link. And, if I wrote a review for the book, the link will be provided, too.

In no particular order:

1) Crewel by Gennifer Albin


This cover is unlike any cover I've ever seen. The way the lines and color merge to create this surreal, explosive image is just absolutely mindblowing. I'd buy this for the cover alone, though the story itself is quite engaging, too!

 2) Stormdancer by Jay Kristoff


The colors and symbolism. My gosh. It's so kick-butt and Yukiko and the sheath and the tantō!!! Too much awesome. 

3) Lovely, Dark, and Deep by Amy McNamara


The simplicity and again, symbolism, in this cover just blows my mind. It's a soft kind of sadness. Like snow. So, so pretty. 

4) Unspoken by Sarah Rees Brennan 


This cover is so boisterous and different than any other YA cover of late. It's a paper cut-out! Wha. Stunning and original, just like the book itself.

5) The Selection by Kiera Cass

   
 I wasn't the biggest fan of The Selection, but the cover is so beautiful and gorgeous that it demands a spot on this list. 

6)  Destroy Me by Tahereh Mafi


It sucks when series change covers, especially halfway through or towards the end. But I must say, I really like these new covers. They're very interpretive and the art is aesthetically done.

7) Everneath by Brodi Ashton


The smoke, the dress, and the utter "doom" of it all is so perfect for a representation of Greek mythology and the awesomeness that is Brodi!

8) Incarnate by Jodi Meadows
 My review
  
Everything in this cover synchronizes: the model, the butterfly, the pose, the font, the colors. It's so pretty I could cry. (Oh wait, I did. The story. My goodness. <3)

9) Defiance by C. J. Redwine


 While I thought this book was more mediocre than best, the cover is definitely leaning towards the "better than the best" spectrum. There is so much going on in this picture, yet it's presented in a way that's eerily calming and alluring at the same time. Amazing.

10) The Treachery of Beautiful Things by Ruth Frances Long

  
I really don't think this needs an explanation. The magical, indigenous beauty of it shines brighter than that sun in the corner.



2012 was an amazing year of cover art innovations. I can't wait to see what 2013 brings us! :D

What are some of YOUR favorite covers, 2012 or not?
The Reviews News

5 comments:

  1. YAY! Someone else who has Lovely, Dark, and Deep! So pretty and unique! LOVE LOVE Everneath! The Section and Incarnate are great too!
    My Top 10

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous picks! I adore the cover for The Treachery of Beautiful Things and Crewel has blown me away since I first saw it. I totally agree that the new covers for Shatter Me are better.

    My Top Ten is here if you'd like a look :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. HEY. I SEE MY NAME!! Haha, I completely approve of this list. I agree on so many of them <3 Just *stares at the designers awesomeness*

    ReplyDelete
  4. i so want Lovely, Dark, and Deep! gr8 list

    ReplyDelete

Please do leave a response! I love hearing back from you all! :) I respond to comments here on the blog, so if you'd like me to reply to you via e-mail, just state so in your comment. Also, this is an award-free zone. I love and superbly appreciate all of your generous thoughts; I'm just terrible at returning your kind favor.

Thanks for stopping by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...