Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Top 10 Settings in 2011


Today's topic was characters, and I chose settings. Though some people might say that a setting isn't a real, animate thing, it can't be a character (and you're right), here is the definition for character (from dictionary.com):

Character: Noun. One of the attributes or features that make up and distinguish the individual.

A setting is an attribute that distinguish the characters in a story, and it usually plays a major role as well. Without the claustrophobic environment of Godspeed, would Across the Universe be as horrifying as it is? Without the Shifted world of Shade, Aura's story would have been exponentially different. So, here it is, my top 10 settings of 2011 (in no particular order):




1)  The Island of Thisby from The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater
 

2) Paris, France from Anna and the French Kiss (among others) by Stephanie Perkins

3) Mercy Falls, Minnesota from The Wolves of Mercy Falls Trilogy by Maggie Stiefvater
 

4) Jackson Hole, Wyoming from Unearthly by Cynthia Hand

5) Amsterdam, The Netherlands from 13 Little Blue Envelopes by Maureen Johnson

6) The Kingdom of Lienid from Graceling by Kristin Cashore

 

7) Godspeed from Across the Universe by Beth Revis

8) Kinsale, Ireland from Carrier of the Mark by Leigh Fallon
 

9) San Francisco, California from Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins

10)  Ivy Springs, Tennessee from Hourglass by Myra McEntire


*Disclaimer: I do not own any of those pictures. Instead, they were found using Google Images.*

Honorable Mentions:
-The Futuristic Chicago, Illinois from Divergent by Veronica Roth
-Any other Dystopian settings
(Okay, it's late here as I'm writing this post, and I can't think of anything. So any place I might've missed, mentally add it here, please!)


What do y'all think? I know I didn't write anything special, but I think the tableau speaks for itself. :)

Who/what are your Top 10 "Characters" of 2011?

8 comments:

  1. Settings! What an epic topic! Godspeed, Anna's Paris and Mercy Falls would probably be on my list as well! : )

    Patricia

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! That was so unique! And I am so coming back to this post once I read those books! LOL, wow. That...I'm tweeting this post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Patricia Thanks! :)
    @Momo Aw, yay! Thank you! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooooo...beautiful photos AND choices. (So glad to see MN on the list. HOLLA!) The photo of Lienid is breathtaking. Great post, Juli!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Jen! :D (or at least I'm assuming it's Jen from the other comment :P) Minnesota looks amazing. I so wanna go there! And right? At first I used another picture for Lienid, but then I saw that picture saved somewhere in my folder, and I was just like, O.O THIS!! YES!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So many of these pictures are pretty much perfect captures of the settings from the book - nice twist :)

    Top 10 Book Characters of 2011
    Kelly | Radiant Shadows

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hoàng Quân đem đến cho quý khách các dịch vụ thue xe tốt nhất http://thuexe16chorenhat.com, http://thuexedulich29cho.com/ uy tín nhat Ha Noi.

    ReplyDelete

Please do leave a response! I love hearing back from you all! :) I respond to comments here on the blog, so if you'd like me to reply to you via e-mail, just state so in your comment. Also, this is an award-free zone. I love and superbly appreciate all of your generous thoughts; I'm just terrible at returning your kind favor.

Thanks for stopping by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...