Monday, October 3, 2011

Eve, oh, Eve

Eve
By: Anna Carey
Reported by: Juli Helms
Source: NetGalley
Release date: TOMORROW!!!

The year is 2032, sixteen years after a deadly virus—and the vaccine intended to protect against it—wiped out most of the earth’s population. The night before eighteen-year-old Eve’s graduation from her all-girls school she discovers what really happens to new graduates, and the horrifying fate that awaits her.

Fleeing the only home she’s ever known, Eve sets off on a long, treacherous journey, searching for a place she can survive. Along the way she encounters Caleb, a rough, rebellious boy living in the wild. Separated from men her whole life, Eve has been taught to fear them, but Caleb slowly wins her trust...and her heart. He promises to protect her, but when soldiers begin hunting them, Eve must choose between true love and her life.

-Summary from Goodreads

Eve captured my attention with its premise and it does not disappoint! Anna Carey writes with a strong, defined voice that shines through the narrative. Although the voice and the characters seem a bit precocious, considering the circumstances, it is believable.


Eve, the narrator of the story, is a character that tore me apart. Often times I found myself irritated with her, but admittedly her choices are mostly justified. She grew up in a world completely against men, took classes on the danger men poses, so it's only natural that she'd be more than a bit reluctant to find a boy who offers her protection.


One thing that I didn't care much for in this novel was its world-building. A disease has wiped out most of the population--in more accurate words, most of the females--yet we don't get much glimpse into its history and what it all meant. The twists that fall out from this book are interesting but not shocking, because the groundwork felt thin and I didn't get the impact. One thing I desperately wished for was the how does this exponentially impact the story? and all I got was barely a glimpse. But this is a trilogy, so I do have hopes for the sequel to answer my questions.


Overall, though, Eve is a wonderful novel that I would recommend to fans of Wither and Delirium, and someone who likes their dystopian heroine strong-headed with a distinctive voice.


Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please do leave a response! I love hearing back from you all! :) I respond to comments here on the blog, so if you'd like me to reply to you via e-mail, just state so in your comment. Also, this is an award-free zone. I love and superbly appreciate all of your generous thoughts; I'm just terrible at returning your kind favor.

Thanks for stopping by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...