Thursday, October 20, 2011

Carrier of the [Ink]Pop

Carrier of the Mark
By: Leigh Fallon
Reported by: Juli Helms

Their love was meant to be.

When Megan Rosenberg moves to Ireland, everything in her life seems to fall into place. After growing up in America, she's surprised to find herself feeling at home in her new school. She connects with a group of friends, and she is instantly drawn to darkly handsome Adam DeRÍs.

But Megan is about to discover that her feelings for Adam are tied to a fate that was sealed long ago—and that the passion and power that brought them together could be their ultimate destruction. 

-Summary from Goodreads

Carrier of the Mark is a wonderful blend of mythology, destiny, love, and journey.

I enjoyed Carrier. The characters were very relatable, and the plot definitely hooked me. However, while this book met my standards, it didn't leave a huge impression on me that made me think, wow.

Here's why:

1) There is a lot of back story needed in this book to fully understand Megan and the DeRís's powers. Back story is extremely difficult to execute well, so I'm not taking points away for that, but there were times when I found myself thinking, huh? and re-reading a section because it didn't make much sense. That may be just me, but it is something that took some fun out of reading.

2) The insta-love. There's a reason behind Megan and Adam's instant love. I like that. But often I felt like Megan was the only one who really loved Adam beyond that reason, and that threw me off a bit, because as you can tell from the summary, their love plays a big part in this story. And while I wanted to think that they truly, genuinely love each other, and that all the steamy romantic scenes were authentic, I couldn't help but feel a bit reluctant to accept their relationship.

3) The conflict. I can't place my finger clearly on the conflict here. A lot of things could be accounted for it, but the reason why I find this difficult to analyze is because Megan kind of ignores the conflict, which made me think, oh, okay, so... there's this huge problem and you're not gonna really do much it? Er, okay... This may be just me, but I felt like there wasn't really much conflict at all with Megan, because even while the other characters were striving to overcome the problem, she felt the part, but didn't play it.

But, really, there was very few things I didn't like about this book. It was such a fun read that, honestly, I don't think you'll mind the few problems I mentioned. The story behind Megan and the Mark is immensely interesting, and I would definitely recommend Carrier of the Mark to anyone who enjoys Kiersten White and Alyson Noel.





Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please do leave a response! I love hearing back from you all! :) I respond to comments here on the blog, so if you'd like me to reply to you via e-mail, just state so in your comment. Also, this is an award-free zone. I love and superbly appreciate all of your generous thoughts; I'm just terrible at returning your kind favor.

Thanks for stopping by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...